Thursday, September 15, 2011

Guest Post: Mrs. Monnock


Ohh “guest blogger” that makes me sound so important. I’m just a mom. I recently started couponing to save money on my family of 7 (yes I said s-e-v-e-n, 7)’s food expense. I remember my first big trip; it was super doubles at Harris Teeter. I was such a rookie! I didn’t know they only doubled 20 coupons, and only 3 of the same one’s. I was devastated. I walked out with stuff I wouldn’t have bought otherwise, and about $300 poorer than I was when I went in. Now I know the policies, and I have had a several months of practice to get me going.

There were many factors leading to my couponing. First I saw my good friend Melissa posting some terrific deals she had been making and I was curious. Then I saw it. You know IT- the SHOW (the one on ABC not the one on TLC), with Mr. Coupon from weusecoupons.com. I thought ‘Okay if this dude can do it then I can do it.’ However, I still wasn’t totally on board. It took seeing the Extreme Couponing episode on TLC with The Krazy Coupon Lady (thekrazycouponlady.com) on it to finally push me over the edge. I also vowed to never climb into a dumpster to get coupons.

This morning was day 2 of Harris Teeters Triple coupons event. They TRIPLED my coupons that had a face value of $0.99 or less. They tripled up to 20 coupons total, and 3 of the same coupon. I took full advantage of the fact that my husband and I had separate households not too long ago (military) and therefore we have 2 VIC cards for me to use. So I make 2 purchases when I am there.

Here is a picture of my plunder:


I have also been getting rain checks when there is a terrific deal on something- the plates, and the tampons, and the Betty Crocker fruit snacks I had price adjusted with rain checks from previous sales. I cannot tell you how important rain checks are. They will save you more money than you can imagine.


So here is what is pictured:

  • 6 Knorr Rice Sides

  • 3 Haribo gummies snacks (2 gummy bears 1 licorice wheel)

  • 3 Hormel Completes meals

  • 2 Smuckers Simply Fruit spread

  • 1 Kashi Frozen EntrĂ©e

  • 1 Barilla Pasta Sauce

  • 4 Boxes of Betty Crocker Fruit snacks

  • 2 boxes of Fiber One cereal

  • 2 cans of Grand’s Biscuits

  • 4 pks of 50 ct Hefty foam plates

  • 6 cans of Campbell’s Healthy Kids soups

  • 4 cans of Campbell’s Chuncky soups

  • 8 boxes of Green Giant frozen Veggies

  • 2 Boxes of Old El Paso Taco shells

  • 1 Pledge Multi-surface cleaner

  • 9 Boxes of Hamburger Helper

  • 4 boxes Playtex Tampons

  • 3 boxes Hot Pockets

All this cost me including tax: $30.91

Many people ask me if it is really worth it. I have cut my spending on food, and that means I am spending less money. While at the same time I am buying more food. And remember how I said I would never climb in a dumpster… well technically it was recycle bin, so I am still keeping that vow. ;)


Guest post written by Mrs. Monnock

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...